Question: Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. It is so hard to get any advice on this subject. My apartment had toxic black mold (Stachybotrys, Aspergillus, and Penicillium). It was a small area under a window. I was very sick and still do not know if I was just “sick” (flu like) or if it was the mold. Anyhow I moved out in May, and have been trying to salvage what I can from my apartment. I was wondering if I could save my clothing, books, etc? I have a microbial cleaner that says it can be used on paper. What do you think? There is no visible mold on any of my things. The mold was on the wall and in the air. Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate it so much.
Answer: Yes, you could save your clothing, books and other belongings. If the apartment had only a small amount of mold, I don’t think your belongings are significantly contaminated with mold spores. However, if you’re still concerned you could have the items that cannot be washed, cleaned with a HEPA vacuum. I would not recommend use of microbial cleaners unless it’s something already approved for that purpose. Items that can be washed should be washed and then dried properly immediately. For additional information refer to the articles below: