After analysing air samples for total spore counts, we often get asked whether there are acceptable levels of mould concentrations in air and what effects mould spores have on human health. Unlike many other indoor pollutants, there are currently no set acceptable levels for mould spores. The scientific community including medical doctors is polarized on the effects of mould on human health. However, it is generally accepted that mould can:
- Elicit allergic reactions to sensitized (or atopic) individuals and that not all moulds are allergenic
- Infect humans especially those with weak immune systems
- Produce toxic metabolites (mycotoxins) that can kill or cause other complications if ingested in food.
While scientific evidence to prove that mould is the cause of some illnesses is lacking, there is enough evidence to support the need to remove mould from occupied environments.