In one community a family purchased a mobile home. Shortly after they moved in, their 2 kids got sick. It was determined that the home was contaminated with some black mould. For over 2 years nobody had entered the home after the family moved out. Some neighbours were wondering if there was any health risk to them given that the mould was not cleaned up and the windows and garage door of this house were partially open.
Mould from a house is unlikely to affect the health of the people living in the neighbourhood. The concentrations of biological material escaping from such a house would be highly diluted by the outdoor air to have any significant effect on the majority of the population. Outdoor moulds growing on dead organic material and on plants release into the air huge amounts of spores daily. Only on some occasions do the outdoor spores reach levels that affect some people.
Should you have a question concerning mould, send it to us at My Question.