Question: I am wondering if you have a foundation problem in a house and water comes in when the snow melts and when it rains would mold develop over time? We were going to move in a house and the landlord says that she removed the mold. It is a damp, old basement and the wood boards are rotting because of either mold or water. She says it only rained in there once but i don’t think so. Would there likely be mold in the walls, underneath the cardboard? When the landlord tells me it has been removed do I believe her or would a mold/air specialist have to come in? There is also insulation exposed. I heard mold can grow there. My mom had a bad reaction from being in the basement. Please give me your advice.
Answer: The conditions you have described would definitely support mold growth. Going by your description of the place, I would suggest you look for another house. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health problems. People who are sensitive to molds may experience nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Those with weak immune system or with chronic lung illnesses and other respiratory diseases may get serious infections in their lungs when they’re exposed to mold.