Proliferation of indoor mould and bacteria in dwelling places could lead to ill-health of the occupants. Indoor microbial growth and dampness has been associated with a number of respiratory problems including:
- Respiratory symptoms such as coughing and wheezing.
- Respiratory infections such as aspergillosis.
- Allergic diseases, including allergic asthma and bronchitis.
- Non-inflammatory, unspecific symptoms, e.g., eye and skin irritation, fatigue, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
The best way to control microbial growth in a building is to ensure the building is well maintained and any water leaks are repaired promptly.
Once mould has grown in a building, the solution to the problem is to have the water source identified and repaired and the mould removed. This can be expensive especially if the work is to be performed by professionals.
To avoid expensive mould investigation and removal, the homeowners and property managers should:
- Continuously monitor for any water leaks and have them repaired promptly.
- Continuously monitor for mould growth so as to detect it before it spreads.
Do you have a mould question? Send it to My Question.