Question: My question regards mold spores. Our basement was flooded about 2 weeks ago. Most if not all of the exterior concrete walls and floor were affected as well as an inside wall. Although we have tried to clean everything up as best as we could, we noted a musty smell shortly afterwards. All four family members have been sick with what seems to be various allergic symptoms ever since. Could these illnesses be related to the flood? Could mold spores be the reason and should we have the air quality of our duplex tested?
Answer: It’s possible that your allergic symptoms are linked to dampness in your home. Excessive dampness is a health problem by itself. Indoor dampness also indirectly contributes to health problems by supporting the growth of molds and other microbial agents in addition to initiating the release of chemical emissions from damaged building materials and furnishings. Mold spores are also known to cause allergic reactions in some people.
Research has shown that living in damp homes not only increases the risk of asthma, but also leaves residents with a greater chance of repeated colds and skin allergies. People living in damp houses have been found to require more antibiotics than others and are more likely to suffer from pneumonia, bronchitis or tonsillitis.
You may want to test the air quality in your home to determine the levels of airborne mold spores. I would suggest you hire a professional to assess the situation in your home and give recommendations on remediation.