Question: Hi, I recently bought and moved into a new build property. Having suffered with increasingly sensitive skin (became very red when bathing, touching skin) I moved out after 6 weeks. Having removed carpets and repainted I am still getting a very clear skin reaction after having spent time in the house, unless I wash my skin almost immediately. Could this possibly have a bacterial component- for example if the drains haven’t been fitted properly- the house does have, what I would term, a ‘dirty plastic’ smell upstairs. I have also tried a powerful air-purifier which hasn’t really helped. Can houses suffer from bacterial infestations? Any advice would be much appreciated. This has been a very stressful situation. I live in England.
Answer: Yes, a house can be infested with bacteria. It’s difficult for me to know whether your skin condition is due to bacteria or other biological or chemical irritants. I would suggest you seek advice from a dermatologist.