If a house is constantly damp due to leaks or condensation black mold can sometimes be found growing on paper of dry wall, windowsills, wood, behind wall paper, baseboards, carpets or on ceiling tiles. A number of molds are potentially toxic fungi and have been associated with adverse health effects in some individuals. Current Canadian recommendations advise building occupants to clean-up and/or remove visible mold growth. The Canadian Construction Association has provided guidelines on how to deal with indoor mold growth. The key to control mold growth is to reduce or eliminate moisture.
If you see visible mold growth, you may submit tape or bulk samples directly to the laboratory to determine what type of black mold is growing in your house. The laboratory report will include health effects (if known) associated with the identified mold. It is also recommended that you contact a mold professional or a public health inspector in your area who may help to assess the level of mold contamination and advise on clean-up.
For information on how to collect and send a tape or bulk sample to the lab click Mold in Home. For a list of mold testing companies in your area, click Mold Testing Companies Directory.