It is a fact that we spend most (some people say 90%) of our time indoors. During winter we probably spend more. While mould is not the only contaminant that can compromise our health, it is one of the most important ones. People who may be at risk of mould exposure during the winter include young children, the elderly, people with allergic problems or those with low immune systems following medical treatments or due to other disease conditions such as HIV AIDS.
We can reduce exposure to mould growth by reducing the spore concentrations in the air.
Steps To Reducing Indoor Mould Spore Concentrations
- Monitor regularly for early signs of mould growth. Pay particular attention to basements, bathrooms, windowsills, ceilings, under kitchen and bathroom sinks and any other area that is likely to be damp. Damp hidden places are particularly prone to mould growth.
- Promptly fix plumbing leaks, drain clogs, roof leaks, condensation problems or poor ventilation that can lead to mould growth.
- Regularly vacuum clean (preferably with a HEPA vacuum cleaner) surfaces that tend to collect dust such as the floor, furniture etc. Settled dust is a reservoir not only for mould spores but also for other allergens.
- If mould is found, refer to the following mould guidelines and call a mould specialist immediately.
- New York City Department of Health “Guidelines on assessment and remediation of fungi in indoor environments”.
- CCA 82 – Mould Guidelines for the Canadian Construction Industry. This can be obtained at: http://www.cca-acc.com/documents/electronic/cca82/cca82.pdf
- Health Canada’s “Fungal Contamination in Public Buildings: Health Effects and Investigation Methods”. This document is a revision of an earlier version published by Health Canada and the Federal-Provincial Advisory Committee on Environmental and Occupational Health (CEOH) in 1995.
Do you have a mould problem? We can help. Call us at (905)290-9101.