People are today more aware of health effects associated with mould than they were 10-15 years ago. When should one be concerned with indoor mould growth? The simple answer is that mould should never be allowed to grow indoors. Apart from being unsightly and a potential health hazard, mould breaks down the materials it is growing on thus reducing their value and structural integrity.
If one happens to find mould growth in their homes or offices, my advice would be not to panic but to seek professional help. There are close to 200 mould species that have been reported from indoor environment and most of these are quite rare indoors. Also, only a few of these would be considered a health risk. The amount of mould growth, the types of mould present, individual health status and for how long one has been exposed to airborne mould (spores and hyphal fragments) are some of the factors that would determine if one is at risk or not. A professional would be able to determine some of these factors and be able to advise occupants if they were possibly at risk of mould exposure.
Should you have a mould problem or question, please call (905)290-9101.