House mold is not only unsightly but also a potential health hazard. People with allergies, asthma or other respiratory problems can have serious reactions to house mold spores. Also, molds produce digestive enzymes that help them utilize building materials as food. Therefore, apart from being a health hazard, house mold will also compromise the integrity of the materials it is growing on (see the picture on the right) such as wood, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, carpet, and baseboard.
Photo courtesy of One Day Mold Removal
There are a number of factors that encourage house mold growth. By controlling these factors, we can subsequently control mold growth. The factors include: indoor humidity and moisture content of materials, temperature, air circulation, light, and the chemical composition of building materials. For an existing house we cannot change the chemical composition of building materials. Light and temperature would also not be practically possible to control in that we need light and warm temperatures in our houses. However, we can effectively control house mold by maintaining the levels of relative humidity indoors below 60% and also ensuring proper ventilation. Air circulation helps control moisture levels through evaporation.
What do you do if you see or suspect house mold growth?
If you see or suspect house mold growth do not panic. You may submit mold samples to a qualified mold laboratory to determine whether the mold present is hazardous or only a cosmetic concern. The MOLD TAPE SLIDE™ is a straightforward, inexpensive and effective method to sample visible mold found on any surface. From it you get information and guidance on what to do next. It is an easy way to determine if the mold is toxic and if it will require a professional to conduct more intensive investigation and remediation. Click MOLD TAPE SLIDE™ for details.
Peel off seal from slide to expose adhesive (see the words “Peel Here”)
Place sticky side of slide onto the surface with visible mold growth and press gently.
Place slide back into plastic snap-case.
If you can’t see mold growth but can smell “musty” or “earthy” odours you can also perform a preliminary air test (call 905-290-9101 for details) before calling in a professional.